Thursday 23 August 2012

THE IRONY OF ATTAINING A MASTERS DEGREE

Surfing the internet for the past one month trying to decide what university is affordable yet offers qualitative education for my average economic cadre has left me more disillusioned day by day. Being one of those people who believe a UK and/or USA education is much more qualitative than other countries cum that of Nigeria, i very easily began checking those spheres. After checking the rates for over 10 schools, i realized if i approached my mother with such a cost i may give her a heart attack. So i began looking for scholarship offerings that may reduce the cost of tuition for me. There, i "jam rock" as they would say in pigin english.

Now at my wits end and realizing i may not be able to afford Masters in jand right now, i went back to browsing and making inquiries for admission in a Nigerian University. I was specifically looking for one close to my city so schooling wouldn't put a strain on my work and my resources. Asking around i got a couple of schools that could work. That was supposed to have given me some respite, however, it further left me more frustrated.

First, i had to consider the erratic situation of Nigerian colleges, strikes, lecturer issues, sorting and all related shenanigans to education in Nigeria. Then i got an Eastern university which had a study centre in my town and i was elated. This means i could continue working and still school with little or no hitches at all. Just when i was about to get a form, the FG decided to set up a committee that will probe Nigerian universities. Among their portfolio was to re-call centres of universities that are not in the same town with the parent university. There, i struck rock deep down in the well. That meant no headway yet.

Then i got information about a university not so far offering a course close to what i wanted to read. I decided to give it a trial since one masters degree is better no masters degree at all. I got their form, filled it and submitted. Before admissions were slated to be out i took the liberty of asking the course coordinator how much the fees may come to. To my utter surprise, i learnt that to run the course i am applying for, it will cost me about half a million naira!!!! Now that was absurd! wouldn't i rather save and go abroad? where i know sessions end on as at when due and school life may not be as difficult as it is in Nigeria?

After all these, i am more beat down that i ever was. Now thinking, how important is having a secong degree infact? My boss just completed his MSc after over 20 years of finishing his first degree. And he built a successful business using only his first degree. I guess i am just going to blurt all this masters matter from my mind focus my energy into something else that will develop me and wouldn't depress me.

Peace out!

1 comment:

§unnie .P. Omokagbo said...

I think ur last paragraph just about sums it up.It's more a question of substance,value & price vis-a-vis affordability.Education shouldn't be a question of the highest bidder taking it all.Unfortunately, it is a reality we face today.