Tuesday 13 January 2015

REMEMBERING DADDY JATES…




If there was ever a day to talk about fathers, it is today, as it marks 20 full, long years since my father went to be with the Lord. A few constants on this blog would remember I had written quite a piece about my father during the past Father’s Day celebration. (Read My Father's Daughter ). Today, however, marks a personally special day for me and my family to remember our Dad, and I can’t help but put up a few words.

I was such a tiny child when we lost him and I remember being told of the embarrassing things I did at his funeral. Running around in glee, I could not understand why such a large crowd of people were gathered without being merry. I did not understand what loss meant. As a wide eyed, happy little girl, i strutted in a yellow sunflower dress thinking we were celebrating a party of some sorts. Unbeknownst to me, the most influential male figure a girl could ever have asked for, was being interred and I would never see him again.

Fast forward many years later, the vacuum will surface and an insurmountable need to fill it will well up in me. While mother dearest struggled to be both mother and father, I was petulant and needed the firm yet gentle prodding of a father. However, that iron lady did her darned best to raise a litter of strong, loyal, vocal and intellectually deep children. 

Continue to rest in the bosom of the Lord, Daddy. We remember you with the warmest of hearts and importantly we thank the Lord God for His sustenance, love, provision and immeasurable benefits.


No comments: