Wednesday 27 November 2013

3 MUFFINS AND A CUP OF JUICE




A comical and satirical reflection of Nigeria Air Transport.



It was a bright and sunny day as most Sundays are. I had barely managed to secure my booking online for the “Best” airline in the country to fly from Lagos to Abuja. I had gone for a weekend meeting in Lagos with a team from my office and I was trying my damnest best to return to Abuja early so I can prepare to resume work on Monday. 

It was to be a 9am flight and i had my friends leave the house at 6:30am so they can beat any of the incessant traffic associated with a typical day in Lagos. They dropped me off at the airport at 8:15am and I gave myself a generous pat on the shoulder convinced that I would be airborne in an hour. 

I did the necessary check-in ritual and practically jogged into the plane. I sent a message to my friends to arrange for pick up and settled in to wait for when the pilot will announce readiness to take off. Before long, 30minutes had passed. Just then the passenger sitting beside me noticed the air was hazy and somewhat smoky inside the airplane. He called an air hostess and complained and she escaped into the pilot cockpit to report the matter. 30 minutes later, the pilot informed us that there seems to be a slight problem and they were expecting some expert engineers to come check the plane out to assure us of its air worthiness. We sat put for another hour while they tinkered. 

At that time my dear Yoruba brothers and sisters began to panic and you could hear the “ngbati” talks as they alighted from the plane. After a while the rather brusque sounding pilot came out to inform us that someone had contacted his superiors about the issue. However, he assures us that the haziness was not a threat to the flight so those willing to travel should please remain put and all those who felt their lives weren’t safe should please alight and take their luggage. Before long he came to inform us again that he had been ordered to return the plane to the hangar and he had put in a request for another plane.
Those of us remaining in the plane alighted and proceeded to the departure lounge to wait while they prepped the new plane. At the departure lounge I sat beside a well adorned woman with gold jewelry all over her body. She was bragging to those of us sitting close to her how she had called an Oga at the top to report the incidence, so it was obvious it was her intervention that got us special consideration.

The second plane was prepped and we proceeded to board. After a couple of minutes again the same pilot returned to inform us that the new plane was not air worthy at all and in his opinion we should have taken the first plane as it was. See me see wahala oo, as though our lives weren’t important to us? Please, I’ve got a momma who would shit bricks if anything bad happened to me so I led a heavy tongue lashing at the pilot for his gruffness and insensitivity. We disembarked and returned again to the departure lounge.

At that time half of the passengers had ditched the flight, picked their luggage and left the airport. I couldn’t afford to forfeit the flight money because I had spent heavily to book a last minute flight and yes, it would dent my account if I had to repay. 

By this time it was 3pm and just then we were called upon to board a third airplane. The plane was scheduled to fly the Lagos-Port Harcourt route, but had been set on a rescue mission and had been re-routed to take us (the remaining passengers) to Abuja. 

It was past lunch time (I don’t joke with my food, mind you), and most of us had begun to get cranky.  Just then a jaded hostess and an air host arrived with a stiff conciliatory smile, giving out some refreshment to a knackered crop of passengers while we gobbled up the minute offerings. At the end of it all, as compensations went, we were handed three muffins and a cup of juice. How demeaning! But as Nigerians, we were quick to forgive them and just thank God that we had arrived safely. After all as they say, ‘when there is life there is hope’ abi?

No comments: