Thursday 19 September 2013

ALL WOMEN ARE GOLD DIGGERS…


        Written By Ope Mimi Ogunz

A conversation with a friend of mine inspired this write up, so y’all please enjoy the read and maybe learn a thing or two....

I belong to the school of thought which believes that ‘All Women Are Gold Diggers, We Just Have Different Tools’. However, these days I believe girls just go too far and they find it difficult drawing that fine line between what’s attainable and what’s clearly outrageous.
         It was a fine Sunday afternoon, my girlfriends and I were hanging out at the pool as usual, sipping on our cocktails and sharing gossips. I  noticed Daniela wasn’t contributing to the conversation which is so unlike her, so I turned to face her and noticed she had this forlorn look on her face. I asked what was wrong with her and she said “Opsy,  I think am cursed, guys don’t give me money when ever I ask for it”. We were all taken aback because among us friends she was the OBO (omo baba olowo), and she works with a nice multinational organization. Therefore, she was the last person we were expecting to say such. With that, she caught the remaining twos attention.                      
                She started venting on the cruelty of guys. We all knew she has been harboring this fantasy to spend her vacation at Barbados and then visit Milan before coming back. Problem is, she wanted someone to foot her bills (and please note, she no get bf oh) although she has a lot of nice young guys around her. Apparently, she ‘taxed’ them each for nothing less than 700k, and none had come through with providing her with the money. The one who came close gave her 300k. This and all the previous times she had outrageously ‘taxed’ guys for money and got nothing brought her to the being ‘cursed’ conclusion.
Janet busted out laughing. Temi had a perplexed look on her face and I was definitely pissed! I couldn’t stop myself from asking “Are these guys your father or husband? Abi o ti ya werey ni? Why should you ask 3 guys who you aint officially dating (toasters) for such an amount of money and you have the guts to be sad they didn’t give you the money?” Thanks to the Long Island Ice tea in my system, my fury knew no bonds.
           Later that evening, Janet called me claiming she thought I was too harsh with my outburst at Daniela. This got me thinking, why do we girls do what we do? Daniela earns about as much as these young guys she’s ‘taxing’ for money.
Most 21st century women think we are so smart and can get what ever we want from guys. It is true that we can, but do we stop to consider that guys also have feelings and emotions? Do we take time to understand that they aren’t as stupid as we like to paint them? We always claim “no b him dey toast me?” But should that be the basis to cheat and exploit him? 
        I am no saint. Not at all, but I just feel if we have to ‘tax’ guys we should do it reasonably and constructively in a way that wouldn’t make them think they are being turned maga. However, if it is an aristo, biko no problem! ‘tax’ all you want. But not decent young men who genuinely like you.

         With this I refer back to my earlier statement, in as much as I believe that all women are gold diggers and what differentiates us are our various digging tools, I still believe tools chosen to be used should be narrowed down to the people involved.

Cheers…

No comments: